Ordered a couple samples from Le Labo Fragrances the other day. Y’all know me and my perfume addiction!
TONKA 25 is a new scent – the first in over three years from this brand. There’s a burst of the citrusy/orange notes at the beginning then it’s replaced by an almost incense-y smell. IMO it is reminiscent of ‘Noir 29’ in that it has a slightly dark, booze-y quality along with the musky dry woods. I very much appreciate that it’s not the typical powder-y gourmand vanilla drenched tonka bean perfume (ick!). In short, I like it enough to add it to my little sample rotation.
I’ve mentioned SANTAL 33 here and there before. It’s a scent I *really* love. There are dupes (Commodity ‘Book’ and Phlur ‘Sandara’) available for less but, Le Labo’s version is one that truly stands out sillage and longevity wise. As such, it’s also one of their more über popular fragrances. I wanted another sample vial as I tend to combine it w/ my other perfumes/oils. At this rate though, I’m probably better off getting a full sized bottle.
It’s been a while, eh? I notice I go through cycles of wanting to post and share *everything* then suddenly, I have an overwhelming urge to retreat and be a hermit.
Sort of how the moon waxes and wanes.
Admittedly, I much prefer the shadow side.
Do you love the smell of old leather? I’m talking the old dusty leather tomes you’d find in a library, the scent of a well-worn leather jacket or luxe leather bag. This candle I found at @Target (of all places, ha) is all that and more. The wood wick is a neat feature, it crackles as it burns.
It’s appropriately called, ‘Leather Bound’ and it’s a perfect scent for this overcast Fall-like day in California. I’m SO not the cinnamon pumpkin blah blah type of fragrance consumer. I want my home to smell clean, classic and cozy. Bonus points if the scent (whether candle or perfume) is androgynous.
1. I may have found the perfect journal/notebook! Archer & Olive notebooks have 160gsm paper (!!), two bookmarks, dot grid white paper. I pre-ordered the black Moon notebook last night and now I can’t wait to get it set up for next year.
2. I’ve been writing a shit ton lately. Mostly poetry and prose. Words seem to tumble out of my head and onto the Notes app on my phone late at night when I’m waiting for the boys to fall asleep. It feels good to get it out. The New Moon always triggers my creative/dark side.
3. Also? How many selfies is too many? Asking for a friend.
1. I recently participated in the “Sensual Selfie Challenge” created by Ev’yan Whitney (IG: @evyan.whitney). The goal was to post five themed selfies a day in order to tap into your inner sensual goddess.
It was nerve racking to say the least BUT, I’m so glad I decided to commit to it. I am no stranger to taking selfies (PG or otherwise!) but, this challenge really made me step out of my little bubble.
What’s more, the other participants were so brave, so pure and inspiring. It really made me proud to be among them.
2. I’ve been taking a few hours to myself every week and it has helped tremendously with my sanity. I’m always wracked with ‘Mom guilt’ whenever I attempt to do something for myself but, not anymore. I deserve a break and some peace and quiet.
3. Sometimes ‘peace and quiet’ means getting in my Jeep, rolling down the windows (or taking the top off!) and blasting music as I drive with no particular destination.
I used to do it all the time before kids. THE. BEST. FEELING.
4. It’s almost autumn, my favorite time of year. I can literally feel my creative side re-awakening from the Summer doldrums. Fall and Winter is the time I’m much more in tune with my true self.
5. So, I started watching the series GRIMM (yes, I’m always late to the party!). I went in only knowing the general premise of the show and not much else. Well, what I found out is, each season (except for the last one) has 22 episodes! TWENTY TWO! I’m barely in the middle of season two. This show going to take a while for me to binge watch. I’m hooked on it though and I didn’t think I’d like it. Of course it doesn’t hurt that Nick Burkhardt (David Guintoli) is easy on the eyes, ha.
Scent of the day : OLMSTED & VAUX by Phlur
This scent is truly a standout but, not in the way where it is loud or attention seeking. It has more of a casual vibe, an easy confidence, a sexy minimalism. It’s the kind of fragrance you’d have to be close enough (if you’re lucky, that is) to really experience.
It’s woodsy, green and soft (thankfully, not powder-y!), citrusy, clean and cozy. I imagine an early morning stroll at Central Park (which inspired this scent) or a cedar forest. Or simply sitting in your garden, coffee in hand, listening to the birds sing.
While #Phlur’s O&V doesn’t have the projection or longevity of most fragrances, I feel it is worth re-applying mid-day.